ART BATTLE ARTIST FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND COMPETITION RULES
Art Battle is a time limited live art competition. Artists create works on canvas and audience vote determines winners and progression through the global tournament. You can read more about the Art Battle Story and tournament here.
Artists must register and apply to compete. Competitors are chosen by Art Battle for each competition. Most events are open for all artists to apply, some are strictly invitation only.
This page answers lots of questions! Please read carefully for information on: rules, auction, artist payments, guests, Art Battle Apps, voting, allowed materials, how to apply, canvas size, paint, timing, winners, tournament structure and more. If you still have questions after you have read this whole page, please email [email protected]
12-16 artists are split into two 20 minute qualifying rounds. The top 2 painters from each round as determined by audience vote will paint a second time in the 3rd / “Final Round” with a new canvas.
- Classic Art Battle rules: artists bring nothing but their bushes and other tools (like palette knives). Local Art Battle producers provide acrylic paint for all artists to use and share. The emphasis in this ruleset is on consistency, fairness, equality, and triumph through constraints. This ruleset is being phased out of most competitions, but may be used at some special events.
- In 2020, Art Battle Open Materials rules allow and encourage artists to bring a wide range of tools as well as their own mediums, and reference images. The emphasis in this ruleset is on creating the best artwork, allowing audiences to see varied techniques, and increasing artwork value. This ruleset will be used at all National Tournaments and most regular city events.
Art Battle Open Materials Rules
- Artists have 20 minutes to create their competition artwork.
- Artists must use the blank provided canvas as the surface for their artwork.
- Artists are encouraged to bring their own mediums and tools. A limited set of acrylic paint is provided by local Art Battle producers. Artists are encouraged (but not required) to bring outside medium — Allowed mediums include: acrylic paint, ink, oil paint, charcoal, pen, pencil, watercolor, and more. Water based aerosol and airbrush are permitted by Art Battle, but may be restricted depending on venue requirements. If using oil paints only Odorless Mineral Spirits or Gamsol will be permitted for solvent. *email your local organizer if you are unsure about a material
- The use of reference images are permitted, but not required. Any reference images must be printed or prepared on paper.
- Pre-made images (collage), including stencils, are not permitted. Creation of stencils ‘at the easel’ and during competition time is permitted.
- The local/global audience votes for the best artwork in each round, and the winner(s) advance to further rounds/events.
Classic Art Battle Rules
- Artists have 20 minutes to create their competition artwork.
- Artists may only use the acrylic paint provided by Art Battle. No outside media is permitted.
- Artists are provided with 1 canvas, 1 palette, 1 mixing surface, cleaning towels, and 1 water container per Round.
- During competition Artists may use any non-mechanical tools: Brushes, palette knives, rollers, sponges, tape etc. Tape must be removed before the end of the Round.
- Pre-made images, stencils or mechanical tools (spray bottle, hair dryer, etc) are not permitted.
- Palettes must be set prior to the beginning of each Round. No additional paint once the Round begins.
- Artists may not mix paint until the Round begins.
- Reference material is not permitted at the easel.
- Artists may rotate their canvas at any time.
- The top 2 Artists by audience vote in each of Round 1 and 2 will advance to compete again in Round 3.
- In Round 3, Artists make a new palette and are provided with new canvas and supplies (#3 above)
- The WINNER of each round will move on to Round 3
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How are artists selected to paint in Art Battle?
Artists submit their work and apply online at artbattle.com/register and are selected based on competition space availability and quality of submission. Use this link to apply and share with your artist friends!
How will I know if I am selected to paint?
If you are selected, you will receive an official invitation by email from your local Art Battle. You must complete the confirmation form in your official invitation to participate. This email will contain all of the information needed for your event including contact information for your local Art Battle producer.
Is there a fee to participate?
No, there is never a fee for Artists to participate in Art Battle.
SUPPLIED MATERIALS AND WHAT TO BRING
What is provided and what should I bring?
Selected Artists should bring their brushes and any other tools they would like to use. In the Open Materials rules, artists are also encouraged to bring their own mediums and printed reference images from home.
Art Battle will provide canvas, basic selection of acrylic paint, easels, water containers, palettes, and mixing plates.
How big is the canvas?
18×24 or larger in Rounds 1 and 2, 20×24 or larger in the Final Round. Any significant change in canvas size will be noted prior to the event by your local organizer.
What acrylic colors will Art Battle provide?
- Titanium White
- Primary Yellow
- Primary Red
- Primary Cyan
- Burnt Umber
- Burnt Sienna
*This is the base list of paint that will be available, additional colors may be available at the event, all paint is medium to heavy body acrylic.
For permitted materials, please refer to the rules above. If the rules above do not clarify, please feel free to email [email protected] with any questions.
AT THE EVENT
When should I arrive?
Artists should arrive at the “artist call time” listed in your artist invitation. Typically this is 30 minutes before the doors open to the public.
Is Art Battle All Ages?
This can differ from event to event (usually based on venue restrictions), please contact your local organizer if you are unsure.
Do I have to pay to get in, and can I bring a guest?
Artist entry into the event is free, and in most cases selected Artists may bring 1 free guest unless otherwise noted by the event organizer.
Once I get to the event what can I expect?
You will check in with your local organizer, and they will go over with you what round you will be painting in, competition rules and how you can expect the night to unfold.
How should I prepare to paint at the event?
If you are in round number 1, you will prepare your palette 10-20 minutes before the timer begins. If you are in round 2, you will prepare your palette while the first round artists are painting. If you are voted into the final round, you should prepare your palette as soon as your name is announced. Your easel and canvas for all rounds will be set up for you already.
How many paintings in total will I have to paint at the event?
Participating artists are guaranteed to create one painting, and will create a second painting if voted into the Final Round.
Will you announce times and winners during the round?
Yes, timing will be announced every few minutes by our MC to alert audiences and artists of remaining painting time. Winners will be announced once the votes have been counted.
VOTING AND AUCTION
Auction and Voting
Audiences can vote, bid and follow their favorite artists at the event they are attending as well as other events all over the world using the Art Battle App – Search “Art Battle” in the app store or on google play to download. Be sure to download the app before your event so you can vote too!
Works created at Art Battle will be silent auctioned with 50% of the proceeds going to the artists. Your local organizer will let you know the expected timeline and method of payment at the event. Works that are unsold at the event remain the property of Art Battle to be made available for future sale with the same sales agreement of 50% to the artist.
*In some cases where an Artist is invited to paint in a special or private event these details may differ, this will be made clear by the local organizer at the time of booking.
Event winning artists move on to higher (regional, city or state, then national, international) levels of competition depending on location. Art Battle will contact you with further details, congratulations!
*All rules and details provided on this page are subject to change at the discretion of Art Battle. Significant predetermined changes or differences will be noted to the artist at the time of booking.
Are you interested in, or know someone who is interested in hosting an Art Battle?
Check out our local partner application here: https://artbattle.com/organize/
Email our Artist Team at [email protected]